You don’t want your precious china or the fragile champagne flutes that you got for your wedding day to end up in shards, do you? Important to note: bubble wrapping alone won’t prevent your breakables from shattering. You’ll need to learn how to prepare your delicate items for storage like a professional if you want them to stay in one piece. Luckily, you are in the right place. Furniture movers Ontario are here to show you how to prepare your delicate items for storage. Your lamps, glassware, and vases are in good hands, so read on!
Here are some basic steps to preparing your delicate items for storage efficiently:
1. Prepare well in advance!
Packing valuable crystal, porcelain, and other fragile items with care will take some time. You shouldn’t rush through this process no matter what you’re packing. But you should be especially careful when it comes to breakables. If you don’t have it in your budget to hire professional packers, you should start well ahead of moving day in order to take the time to properly secure these items.
2. Gather the right tools.
If you’re planning to use cardboard boxes to pack delicate items for storage, follow these tips:
- Don’t overpack the boxes, hoping that some extra packing tape will keep them secured. Bulging boxes make the job harder for your Mississauga office movers. Overstuffed boxes are difficult to stack and safely pack onto the moving truck.
- Instead of jamming everything into your boxes, get more packing materials than you think you’ll need when you start!
- Also, note that cardboard has a shelf life. Cardboard boxes will become flimsy over time. That’s why you shouldn’t count on the boxes you’ve been keeping in your basement to keep your stuff safe.
When preparing your delicate items for storage, it’s not the time to save
Your household goods like towels, small blankets, newsprint, and paper towels are not going to protect your fragile items. These are all the opposite of wise choices. Newsprint can be dirty and it will transfer onto your items. Paper towels are not sturdy and are therefore unreliable. Bathroom towels slip easily and cannot be secured in place with tape, which is crucial for packing delicate items for storage. If you invest in the proper tools – you should be safe.
Pack delicate items for storage in boxes of various sizes
Find boxes with sizes ranging from as small as a shoebox to ottoman large. Keep in mind that you won’t be able to safely carry a box larger than 2-feet square. Another smart move is to pack delicate items for storage in more shallow boxes. On the opposite, fill the big ones with the lighter stuff. It should go without saying that you need to place heavy items at the bottom of the boxes and add lighter items on top.
Be generous with your supplies
When it comes to packing odd-shaped items, the key is to be fairly generous with the boxes. This means that if you have particularly delicate items for storage, such as irreplaceable heirlooms, they should have a box to themselves. Put a blanket on the bottom of a deeper box, then place the carefully wrapped heirloom inside, and add a pillow on top. After you pack delicate items for storage like this, seal up their boxes and don’t forget to label them “FRAGILE“ on every side. You should also write down each box’s contents next to the “fragile” sign.
Pack fragile items so that there’s no jiggling between them
Generally, all your glasses, cups and mugs, require cellular box inserts to keep the items separated and avoid juggling. And, you don’t even have to go out of your way to find these inserts. It’s crucial that you wrap each breakable completely, so just use what you have. Put two layers of packing Put around each extra-sensitive item like wine glasses, because of there really thin.
You want to make sure all the pieces are packed snugly, to prevent shifting
No shifting means no juggling! Stuff all your hollow items such as goblets and vases, with crumpled packing paper. You will also be wrapping them individually with more paper. Only after these steps can you safely place them inside a box lined with paper or bubble cushioning. And when it comes to items like wine glasses, picture frames, put them in a box vertically after wrapping. Proceed with alternating frames with a sheet of bubble wrap between each layer and you’ll finish packing like a pro.
Here are more moving tips for packing the most common delicate items for storage:
- Plates – This may be an unconventional way of handling delicate items for storage, but you should pack your plates vertically. Use small to medium boxes. Line the boxes with crumpled packing paper on the bottom and top. As with previous items, you should crumple more paper in between the layers but never overpack the box.
- Lamps – Pack lamp shades upside down in a box of their own, separately from the base of the lamp. Wrap each part with lots of paper. Approach packing the lamp base the same way – use a large box with a lot of crumpled paper and wrap it with bubble padding.
One last note
When the moving day comes, be clear when explaining to your movers which boxes contain fragile items. But if you’re still unsure about how to properly pack some of your delicate items for storage, feel free to ask for help. Number 1 Van Lines can always provide you with specialized boxes for breakable items. As well as professional packing gear like dish packs and mirror/picture frame packs. We keep these in stock, so why not rely on a service like ours!