Did you know that summer is the most popular time of the year to move? Moving can be challenging at the best of times. You should understand that doing so during the summer, especially if you are moving to or from a hot climate will add its own set of difficulties. A summer move to Niagara Falls means you’ll need to give a little bit of extra thought to logistics. And our movers Niagara Falls can help you do this without any trouble. If you want to know how to keep cool, here are some tips to make your move in the summer a breeze.
Like we’ve said above, summer is the prime time for moving. It’s the busiest time of the year for most movers. We advise you to plan well in advance. The best local movers in Ontario fill up their schedules quickly. That’s why they don’t have to provide competitive pricing – the demand is always high for them. If you can, start searching for moving companies at least six to eight weeks before the move-in date. To avoid strenuous activities in the blazing heat, you should pack up your belongings several days before your move. Strive to stay as organized as possible. Use our guide to help you plan for how many boxes you will need so don’t have to run out last minute.
Do thorough research before your summer move to Niagara Falls
Avoid making the common mistake of not researching several different moving companies. You shouldn’t rely on only one or two movers and trusting them to give you the best price. They are there to make money and you might get stuck with an overpriced summer move to Niagara Falls. Talk to various companies, get quotes from all of them, and finally, compare their rates. Now you are able to make a shortlist of the ones offering the lowest prices.
Find the best ways to beat the heat
If it is possible, book your moving company to arrive early in the morning when it is still somewhat cool. Remember to prepare enough refreshments for everyone. Make sure everyone stays hydrated, especially since you’re doing strenuous activity. Prepare light clothing, and you won’t overheat. Heatstroke is a real danger during any summer move to Niagara Falls.
Schedule your summer move to Niagara Falls on the least busy days
The beginning and end of the month and weekends are always the busiest dates because that’s when most people decide to move. Memorial Day weekend and the last weekend of July are always exceptionally busy. Obviously, moving companies will not lower their rates these days. On the other hand, business is usually slow on weekdays since most people have to work. If you move to the middle of the workweek, you will usually get a better price.
Please fill the form below or just call us at 877-270-3202
If you have to move on a particular day like Friday or Saturday or the first or last day of the month and need to pack the last minute on top of that, chances are, it won’t be easy to find a moving company. This means that most people will have to pay steep prices.
Taking care of your belongings during a summer move to Niagara Falls
Certain items don’t take the heat well. Note that a moving truck can get very hot in the summer so plan to take some of the more sensitive items with you in the car. Also, pack them extremely carefully. These items include:
- Candles which can melt in the heat and get wax all over your other items and
- Music items, such as instruments, CDs, cassettes, and vinyl records, which could warp or get damaged under high temperatures.
- You shouldn’t allow the challenges of moving in summer scare you. As long as you keep on top of things and plan ahead, it won’t be a nightmare.
The pros of moving in the summer
- The real estate market is up during the summer
- If you’re looking to sell your home, the summer is the perfect time to list. Making a profit from your current home will be essential to ensuring that you have an easy and budget-friendly summer move!
- The timing aligns with the various life events
- Many moves occur during summer because the timing correlates with major life changes. Kids go on summer vacation, grads move from their college towns, newlyweds move in together because of the wedding season, etc.
The weather can be a big pro for your summer move to Niagara Falls
If you live in a particularly cold climate, the summer is probably the best time of year for you to relocate. Trying to unpack in your new home while dealing with snow, ice, and chilly weather is never good.
The cons (and how to handle them)
- The rental market is at its peak during the summer
- The summer is not an ideal time to look for a new place if you’re renting. Because the demand is so high, apartments raise the rates on leases significantly. Solution: Start looking for your apartment two months out
- You will be able to apply as soon as tenants give their 60 days notice, or grab new apartments as soon as they go on the market.
- Depending on when you start your research you may be able to avoid peak summer rental prices.
- Professional movers are more expensive during the summer, so be fully packed when your movers arrive to lower the costs.
Even though rates for movers can be very high in the summer, the best way to keep your bill acceptable is to be fully packed and ready to go when your movers arrive. Avoid loose items. They only make your move slower and your final bill higher. Remember, most movers have an hourly rate.